Okanagan-Shuswap Vehicle Maintenance: Maintenance-Seasonal-Car-Ready-For-Winter
Here are some things you should do to ensure your car is ready for winter:
- Anti-freeze Check the levels of fluid for windshield wipers. Do
you have a spare jug in the trunk?
- Battery. Check that it is strong enough for extreme winter cold. How old is
- Belts. Check the fan belts for wear and cracking
- Block heater. If the car is not manufactured for Canada, it may not have a
block heater to keep the engine block warm.
- Cooling system. does the radiator fluid need to be flushed?
- Emergency survival kit Do you have a blanket, candles, signal flares,
reflective signs, sand, kitty litter, shovel, and snack bars?
- Tires Are the treads worn? Are the tires rated for winter driving
conditions? "All season" radials are not recommended for extensive mountain driving.